Thursday, May 09, 2013

Activist First, Academic Second

" I have been forced to distinguish between challenges and struggles. Challenges can motivate you.
But I find it
impossible to deal with struggles. "

Professor Cecile Wright is a woman who names and shames injustice. A staunch Labour Party supporter, she has spent the last 30 years advocating for black workers’ rights in the University and Colleges Union, and publishing books on social injustice and racial inequality.

In Part 2 of our 3-part interview, Cecile Wright shares with Yaaya the challenges she has faced, and her passion for politics.

Click here to read Part 1.

And so the conversation continues …

Yaaya:
You once described yourself as “an activist that happens to be an academic”. Can you share with Yaaya some examples of your activism?
Cecile W:
Today is illustrative of that political agenda. I am part of a delegation for the University and Colleges Union. I’ve been active within the Union for many years at a localised level but within the last 5 years, I’ve been elected twice to the National Executive Committee as the National Black Representative for academics in higher education (HE). That’s an example of my activism and political motivation.

As far back as I can remember, I have been involved in community based activities. I recall at the age of 16, chairing a meeting with the late Stokely Carmichael Kwame Ture, a great national figure that helped shape the agenda around civil rights, and the liberation of black people within the States in the ‘60s. Clearly, being there at the age of 16, with such a historical figure, it had a profound impact. So that’s an illustration of some of the activism I have been involved in.
Yaaya:
You are clearly passionate.
Cecile W:
(laughs) Yes, everyone says I come across as quite a passionate person.
Yaaya:
And that is a great thing! It is obvious in your life’s work that you have put your money where your mouth is, and Yaaya respects that. You have faced many challenges along your journey, yet within you is an inherent self-assuredness. Has this been key to enabling you manoeuvre the challenges?
Cecile W:
Clearly there is a degree of steel within me. I think it is a sense of determination. Perhaps the affirmation that I received at appropriate times has assisted me in countering the challenges. (pauses) I have had the privilege of a strong matriarchal family experience. My mother’s half-sisters were extremely strong and successful women, and always quite affirming and positive in their support of me.
Yaaya:
How have these challenges shaped you as an individual?
Cecile W:
One thing I do know, is that I am not a bitter person. (pauses) I tend to border on being too optimistic and sometimes, quite naïve. I think ‘well, that has happened to me; I’ll dust myself down, and start again’. That’s not to say that I don’t feel pain.

I have been quite lucky to have significant others (family and friends) who have been supportive during times of doubt and crisis. Challenges haven’t made me bitter, nor dampened (totally) my optimism and enthusiasm, spirit and passion. I have been forced to distinguish between challenges and struggles. Challenges can motivate you. But I find it impossible to deal with struggles.

(Silence)

However, there is happiness in my life! (laughs) Let me tell you what I see as my achievements. I gave birth to two beautiful boys. The first, Timothy, is 22, and an exceptionally bright young man. Nice personality, charismatic, looks like Obama (laughs) He works in Nottingham at a school, mentoring young students who want to go to Oxbridge, and assisting me on research projects. My second son, Thomas, is 17, and doing his A-Levels. He is hoping to study politics at Liverpool University because of its history and connection with slavery.

Those are my achievements. And they love me to bits. (pauses) That’s my family life. Great. And supportive. Without that, I think it would be very difficult for black women to navigate spheres of society that we are ‘not supposed to be in’. You have to get that (family) right. Safe, supportive, and unconditional.

In the final part of our conversation, Yaaya and Cecile Wright explore the challenges facing black female academics in Higher Education. Look out for Part 3 on Saturday 11th May 2013.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...