Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dreams, Advice, And The Journey Ahead

"... It’s not about being a genius, it's about hard work and dedication”.

In Part 3 of this 3-part interview, Monique speaks about young people and academic careers, academics she looks up to, and what she hopes to achieve after her PhD.

Click here to read Part 2 of Monique’s interview.

And so the conversation begins …

Yaaya:
Do you think that careers in Academia are encouraged amongst young people?
Monique C:
I don’t think so, and the reason I think this, is because it’s really abstract. Even when people ask me what I’m doing, they then say, “what are you going to do afterwards?” I say I may teach, or I may do a bit of research, so it’s really abstract. I think because it’s not a tangible career, a lot of people don’t understand what an academic does. They have the idea of the crazy professor. It’s not something that people would even think to discuss.

So hopefully with more people networking and supporting each other, that in itself will promote a different image of us (academics and PhD students) that can encourage young people to enter Academia. I mean for me, my Dad would always tell me you are going to university, so I’ve always thought that, and of course I have always enjoyed learning. For me, my mind has to tick.
Yaaya:
So would credit your Dad as being a big influence for you to study for a PhD?
Monique C:
Yes. He always would say things when I was younger like: “when you get older and go to university...”. This was when I was just 5 years old! So when you’re young, you believe what your parents tell you, so I thought “oh yeah that’s what I’m going to do”. I’ve never thought will I, or won't I go to university, as I knew I was always going to go. My Dad again would always say, “don’t study for money, study the things you enjoy, as once you do that at some point you will make money, so don’t let that be your motivating factor”. So maybe that’s why I did it.

I also did it because I like the idea of challenging people. I may look a certain way, or speak a certain way, and you might have an idea of me based on that, but I like the idea that I may be able to think around you. I think that’s part of it as well.
Yaaya:
What can be done to encourage more young people into Academia?
Monique C:
The work you’re doing is great, and I think there needs to be a platform like what you’re doing, somewhere where young people who are in the Academy can talk about what they do. As you were saying, for me researching Grime music, who would have thought that was possible? So there needs to be a platform.

There may need to be events at career days about getting into Academia. The careers spoken about at career days are usually tangible and traditional. Academia is abstract. So a platform is one way to promote it, as well as events where speakers who work in Academia can speak to young people, and inspire them.
Yaaya:
Which Academics do you look up to and why?
Monique C:
I like Tricia Rose. I like her but that’s because she is kind of in my area of research. I like the fact that, mentally, we click … at least because we share the same interests. I went to see her at the Barbican for the Hip Hop debate. I like the way she articulates herself, and she’s successful. Her work, especially on rupture and flow in her ‘Black Noise’ book, started to open my mind, and is one of one of the key literatures that I’m going to use in my work. I really do like her.

Somebody I’ve recently come across, but I don’t know if she’s done any written work is a woman called Angelette Tucker, and she’s using a sociology of religion approach which I will be applying to my PhD. She’s looking at ‘Chicago Stepping’, or Steppin’ as she calls it. She looks at the spiritual or sacred meanings that could be drawn out from ‘Chicago Stepping’. I really do like that as well.

There are other people I’m really interested in for example, I like Michael Eric Dyson as well. but I don’t think I have a particular academic that inspires me. It’s more the ideas than a person. It’s all about the knowledge. If something opens my mind in a way that I’ve never thought of something before, that’s what gets me … rather than the person. I hope that my work does that when I eventually get there.
Yaaya:
What opportunities have opened up to you as a result of studying for a PhD?
Monique C:
One of my supervisors got me to teach a lecture recently. It was part of my project on contextualising Garage music. I gave the lecture to students studying Religion at Canterbury University who had never heard of Grime or Dubstep.

I’ve had opportunities to teach, and I have some papers that my other supervisor has said that I should think about publishing. I am focusing on my upgrade, so they have yet to be published. There are some conferences coming up that I may be speaking at as well. I’ve spoken with my Dad who may connect me with a radio station so I can speak about my work, but nothing is set in stone at the moment.

I view being interviewed by Yaaya as an opportunity, so for me at the moment, I think the opportunities are starting to come and I’ll take them to promote a cause, and shine some light.
Yaaya:
What do you hope to gain from your PhD?
Monique C:
One of the things I hope to gain is authority of voice. If I speak about something that is in my area, the chances are even if it’s an opinion I’ve backed it up with some academic rigour. That’s the first thing. I hope it becomes a platform where I can influence other people. Don’t get me wrong you need money to live, but it’s not monetary, it’s about opening people’s minds. This is a bit of an odd sentence, but it’s to gain in breaking down the stereotypes of what it is to be a black woman.
Yaaya:
Following on from that, what do you see yourself doing next after your PhD?
Monique C:
I would like to teach, and have contact with people. I don’t know if I want to teach full time, but I would definitely like to teach. Once you’ve studied, chances are you are going to keep doing something related to that. I’ve come across a wide selection of young people hopefully that I can inspire.

One of my supervisors, Dr Robert Beckford has done documentaries, and I would like to do things like that as well. He’s worked with people in the Arts profession, he has contacts with people in the BBC and Channel 4, he has written books and journals, and he goes to conferences here and there as well.

I’m the sort of person who is focused and dedicated, yet I can get bored. I’m an administrator where I work, and the people are lovely there, but if that was all I had, I couldn’t cope with it, as nothing is going on up here (points to head). So I would have to be involved in varied activities, or maybe do a post doctorate in the States. However, part of me thinks if I go to the States, not that I think it’s my responsibility, but who is going to be here in UK? I don’t know as yet, but I will have to see what comes up, and what opportunities come from my networks.
Yaaya:
What advice would you give to someone that would like to undertake a PhD?
Monique C:
One of things Dr Robert Beckford said to me is, “it’s not about being a genius, it's about hard work and dedication”. So you have to think about the reasons you want to do it, because if its self-glorification, and having the title of ‘Dr’ you will not get to the end. It’s not going to happen.

There will be times when people around you won’t understand why you can’t hang out with them, or why you’re always at your computer. You have to allow it to take over your life, so if you are going to allow something to take over your life, you’re going to have to be really committed to the subject, and the reasons why you're doing it.

If you’re passionate about doing a PhD, don’t put it off because you think you shouldn’t be doing it. You need to ‘shop’ around to find a supportive supervisor, or two supervisors because some people have two. Provided you get the money together, because funding is really hard to come by, and have a support network around you, it will help as it’s not going to be plain sailing in the Academy itself.
Yaaya:
I imagine that you do not eat and breathe your thesis all the time. How do you unwind and take your mind away from deadlines, transcript writing and reading?
Monique C:
If I’m honest with you, I’m somebody that thinks all the time! But one of the things I do, and this is something I’ve always done before I started the PhD, is go to the gym. I get the best ideas when I’m in the gym. It just pops into my head, and I’ll be looking around to see if anyone is watching, because when I think, I look around at lot of people. And so I’ll be like, “I have to remember that when I get home!” So for me, I’m one of these people that finds it hard to switch off

. I’ve kind of tried meditation, but I can only keep my mind clear for about 8 seconds (laughs). I’m one of those people that always thinks, but the gym does help, and singing as well.
Yaaya:
What advice would you give to someone that would like to undertake a PhD?
Monique C:
One of things Dr Robert Beckford said to me is, “it’s not about being a genius, it's about hard work and dedication”. So you have to think about the reasons you want to do it, because if its self-glorification, and having the title of ‘Dr’ you will not get to the end. It’s not going to happen. There will be times when people around you won’t understand why you can’t hang out with them, or why you’re always at your computer. You have to allow it to take over your life, so if you are going to allow something to take over your life, you’re going to have to be really committed to the subject, and the reasons why you're doing it.

If you’re passionate about doing a PhD, don’t put it off because you think you shouldn’t be doing it. You need to ‘shop’ around to find a supportive supervisor, or two supervisors because some people have two. Provided you get the money together, because funding is really hard to come by, and have a support network around you, it will help as it’s not going to be plain sailing in the Academy itself.
Yaaya:
We’d like you to complete the following sentences. I hope my PhD thesis will contribute to ...
Monique C:
Opening people’s minds.
Yaaya:
I feel at my best when ...
Monique C:
I’m opening people’s minds but also … (pauses to think) … that’s a good question. That’s a really good question. I suppose when I’m making myself of value to somebody else. I haven’t been as good lately as I have to study, but I think when I can be of support or service to somebody and it’s valued. I think that’s it. When my efforts are appreciated, and not because I’m doing it, but because they value it.
Yaaya:
Yaaya for me represents ...
Monique C:
The beginning of something big! It’s like the seed for more brilliance, because we do need things like this. We really do, because I feel like there is a lot of people walking around thinking that they’re the only one.
Yaaya:
Thank you very much for your time Monique!

This post concludes the final part of our 3-part interview with Monique Charles. Catch-up on the earlier parts of our conversation.

Part 1: Monique Charles, The New Generation Academic On Grime Music

Part 2: The World of Academia: The Challenges And The Support

1 comments :

  1. Dear Yaaya,

    Thank you very much for this insightful interview!

    I am currently a PhD student, and I completely identify with some of the experiences and feelings that Monique has spoken of.

    I have found isolation one of my biggest problems throughout my PhD, as it is in all honesty a lonely journey. Keeping motivated is also another difficulty that PhD students experience as well!

    Like Monique, I am looking forward to sharing my knowledge with the world, and my passion for my research area!

    CS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...