Monday, August 05, 2013

Natalie Yaa Obenewa Thompson, a.k.a. 'Bespoke Binny'

Natalie Yaa Obenewa Thompson is no stranger to Yaaya. We met her at Africa at Spitalfields in May, where she was showcasing her bright, contemporary African-inspired home-interior design products. So impressed by Natalie’s work, we decided to feature her in our review of some of our favourite stalls at Africa at Spitalfields, and also interview her to find out more about the woman behind Bespoke Binny. Not only did we find out that Natalie is a talented newbie in the world of interior design, but that she is also studying for a PhD in Psychology.

She is passionate about imprinting her personality and culture in all of her products. Intelligence, creativity, exuberance and determination sum up Miss Thompson, as well as the Bespoke Binny brand, as Yaaya discovered in Part 1 of this two-part interview.

And so the conversation begins …

Africa at Spitalfields

 

Yaaya:
Hi Natalie! So nice to see you again after the 'Africa at Spitalfields' event! How have you been since then?
Natalie T:
I’ve been good. It was the biggest event I’ve done so far. It was really nice. I really really enjoyed it.
Yaaya:
'Africa at Spitalfields' plays an important role in showcasing the work of up and coming black entrepreneurs. How important do you think such events are in promoting the work of business owners such as yourself?
Natalie T:
I think they’re really important actually. When I first started all of this, I didn’t think there was something like this out there. I started looking for general arts fairs, so when I found Africa at Spitalfields I was like “wow”! I’ve found loads of such events since. There are quite a few popping up now, and it’s really good that these sort of events are happening now, as I hadn’t seen anything like it previously.
Yaaya:
What impact do you think such events have on people that are not from Africa or its diaspora?
Natalie T:
I think they embrace it. I mean a lot of the people that came to my stall were not African, they were from all different kinds of backgrounds. It’s just a celebration of culture which shouldn’t be exclusive to other groups at all.
Yaaya:
We noticed that a lot of the vendors at 'Africa at Spitalfields' were women. How important do you think it is for black women to be seen as entrepreneurs and innovators in Europe?
Natalie T:
That’s a very good question actually. I think the way I would look at that is that women are generally quite organised, and I think a lot of women are trying to step out and do things on their own. So it was really nice to see. I think you feel encouraged when you see other women doing it.


Bespoke Binny

 

Yaaya:
'Bespoke Binny' on paper seems to be a relatively new business, how long have you been designing home accessories?
Natalie T:
It’s a very new business. I started Bespoke Binny at the end of February beginning of March this year, so it’s very very new. I’ve always made little bits and pieces for myself that I guess you wouldn’t really class as Bespoke Binny products so to speak, but I was getting such good feedback, so I thought I’m going to try and make a go of it.
Yaaya:
You started sewing and making soft furnishings as a hobby, which contributed to the birth of 'Bespoke Binny'. What made you decide to turn what was initially a hobby into a business?
Natalie T:
Friends and family to be honest. Friends and family,encouragement, and on top of that when strangers compliment you. For example I got a lot of positive comments from strangers on my Oyster card holder, so I thought “hang on a minute, I might actually be onto something here”. The feedback has just been just really positive, and because I don’t see myself as a designer, I just see myself as someone who likes to make things, to have feedback that my products are of a good quality, you think to yourself maybe this is good enough, maybe other people will like it.
Yaaya:
You are currently undertaking a professional doctorate in Counselling at the University of East London , and have quite a few other postgraduate qualifications within the field of Psychology. How important is education and knowledge to you?
Natalie T:
Very important. I think this is a mantra that’s been driven into a lot of African children laughs. You know it was drilled into me, but I have to say my mum was very... she wasn’t a typical African mum that expected me to be a Doctor or a Lawyer or anything like that, but I think I’ve always been quite driven. I have role models around me, and family members that have done well academically and that’s always been an inspiration for me, so I kind of never felt like I couldn’t do well if that makes sense? I think it's [education] really important, and it just so happens that the field that I wanted to go into is psychology which is quite academic.
Yaaya:
Where does this stem from? This appreciation for knowledge and education?
Natalie T:
Absolutely family. My grandfather always had this mantra that your children have to do better than you. My mum and my grandmother went to university, so you’ve got to do one better. so I’ve managed to get to Masters, and I’m now doing my Doctorate. It wasn’t something that I thought too much about until fairly recently. I think that definitely helped, and just being surrounded by people doing well. It’s inspiring, so you try and do your best in whatever field you are in.
Yaaya:
Your business is named ‘Bespoke Binny’, what is the story behind the name?
Natalie T:
(Laughs) There is a story behind it! Right, so I’m half Ghanaian and one of my Ghanaian names is Obenewa. And it’s a joke between me and my mum laughs. She always used to joke that when I got my Doctorate and did well and things like that, middle class people always abbreviate names in a way that other people don’t. So she would always tell me that she went to school with a girl named Victoria, and most people shortened it to Vicky. but when she went to school, they used to call her Tortey, or something like that. A really strange name laughs. So she said if we are going to shorten your name to something strange, what can we call you? And so she said "Binny", and so then I thought "what can I call my business?" It’s [my products] bespoke, so I thought what can go with "bespoke". So "Bespoke Binny"!
Yaaya:
What is the process of designing for you, from concept to creation?
Natalie T:
I just give it a go, especially with the travel card holders that I started doing. I think I did quite a few attempts before I got it right. I think I did a few where I had embroidery bits on it, so just like a few. And decided what one I liked best. I look around for inspiration and things like that and just give it a go, and take it from there.


Influences

 

Yaaya:
You use African textiles to design your products. How far has your cultural heritage or upbringing influenced this decision ?
Natalie T:
I love bright colours! If you come to my house it is full of bright colours.That’s why I love African cloth, it is just so vibrant, there is nothing else like it. You just don’t see anything else as vibrant and abstract as African print.I just think that it’s so versatile. Yes we use it to make clothes, but there is just so many things that you can use it for, and the whole idea behind Bespoke Binny was how can I use it (African cloth), in a non typical way, and I wanted to explore that.
Yaaya:
How important do you feel it is to reflect your cultural heritage in your work ?
Natalie T:
I could make a plain cotton cushion if I wanted to, but I think when you’re creating something it’s got to have a part of you in it, in some shape or form, otherwise it comes across as soulless. I really enjoy what I do, and I really want to put a bit of my personality in my work. I like bright colours, and I could get African prints that are not as diverse, but for me that’s what I love. So that’s the route I go down.
Yaaya:
Do you think there is more pride about Africa and its contribution to the world amongst young people of African descent nowadays ?
Natalie T:
Yes I do think so, and it’s so lovely to see. I mean like afrobeats are popular now. I remember when I was growing up, there was this “I’m not African” everyone was Jamaican you know what I mean? It’s lovely, I love it. I wish it had been like this when I was at school.
Yaaya:
Why do you think this is the case, and was it like this when you were growing up?
Natalie T:
You know I always felt really odd because I’m half Jamaican, so I was like I don’t fit. One day I’m one, the next day I’m the other. I feel like it may have been the music that may have started the embrace of African culture.I guess because I’m no longer part of the youth, I can’t say if it’s true or not, but I do wonder. I mean it’s cool to go out and dance to Afrobeat. You have people like D’banj that have become very popular. I love it, its great. Long may it continue!
Yaaya:
African textiles are very popular within the fashion industry , do you notice the same trends within the world of home interiors?
Natalie T:
You know what? I have actually done a search around Etsy, to make sure I come up in the search, and I did find some other people doing African textiles. So I am seeing it. There are probably not as many Europeans as there are African who are using African textiles at the moment, but I definitely see it growing. I think vibrant African prints can be universal, and not just limited to Africans selling to other Africans.

Look out for Part 2 of this two-part interview as we find out about Natalie’s views on social invisibility, her networks of support and what she believes the future holds for Bespoke Binny and her Psychology career.

Do you want to see more of Natalie's work? Then check out the Bespoke Binny company page on Etsy. Leave your comments below to let us know what you have found inspiring about Natalie’s journey into the world of interior design so far. Invite others to the conversation by sharing this post!

Image Source | These images do not belong to Yaaya. Images courtesy of Natalie Yaa Obenewa Thompson (Bespoke Binny)

2 comments :

  1. Agreed! The power of African print is all so powerful. I particularly liked the Oyster Card Holder. How wonderful that was? Absolute magnificent :-) My sister makes greeting cards with African print on them and it just adds so much jazz. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nonyerem,

    Thanks for your comments :)

    The Oyster card holder is definitely a unique feature of Natalie's work. We too love the vibrancy of the materials she uses. It certainly adds a warm and homely feelings to her products. Are you persuaded to purchase the Oyster Card holder?

    Best wishes,
    Yaaya

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...